Friday, September 30, 2011

Update on project

After a lovely ~8 hrs of work, I'm thinking of working more at home tonight (but putting it as work I did tomorrow on my time-sheet, overtime pay is nice, but, I'd rather not annoy people). Right now I found a work around for the file upload problem. Basically, while gwt has a super cute widget that's a "file uploader" it doesn't seem to be programmable to do much beyond look pretty and pull up an explorer style window. After searching online I found this guide. It's useful, but for the life of me, I can't get this guide to self-hosting the site (not through eclipse's default option) to work. From what I've seen of Java, it looks much more complicated and requires use of a servlet to upload a file to local directory. I've got the PHP method theoretically working, well when I click submit, it looks for the script, and promptly dies as it "can't find it." This is something that won't be an issue when the program is done and I can throw it on a server. At least I think it won't be. In other news, I've been exploring Apache POI. It looks pretty much ideal! It has functions for dealing with both .xls and .xlsx files! I'm not worried about parsing .csv files, as they are text files that, well, just aren't scary at all. I found a couple of good references. I need to get the parsing done. I think an ArrayList matrix is the appropriate output, it can then be fed into a sqlite database without much pain. I learned my lesson from my perl pseudo-prototype, having nice looking code is great, but if you make it look too nice, you'll just end up having a slower program (AKA, I was sending the data line by line to the db, when I should've just had it all as one transaction), an important thing to remember with databases, is that your ability to write to the hd (write on, turning write off) is the bottle-neck, not the amount you're writing. I'm not teribly worried about the sqlite portion of the program, I'm becoming a SQL guru thanks to one of my classes. I've even programmed C# UDTs for fun (well for extra credit, but still I did it when I didn't have to). Anyway, I have a lot to do, and probably have my hands in too many pots at once at this point. I just need to have something completely done!

No comments:

Post a Comment